5th Annual Shepherds of Peace Dinner and Awards Ceremony
The 5th Annual Shepherds of Peace dinner and awards ceremony was held on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at the Union League on Broad Street in Philadelphia. Each year, in conjunction with international Conflict Resolution Day, Good Shepherd Mediation Program honors several individuals who have been instrumental in encouraging peace and social justice in Philadelphia and names them “Shepherds of Peace.”
This year, Fran Dunphy, Head Coach of the Temple Owls Men’s Basketball team emceed the event, as he has for the past five years, in memory of his dear friend and former GSMP volunteer, Charles Dinsmore. More than 100 guests gathered to celebrate the good work of four honorees who were chosen for their dedicated and compassionate efforts to encourage civil dialogue, and restorative and social justice:
• Jane Golden, Executive Director, Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
• Rue Landau, Executive Director, Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations.
• Chris Satullo, Executive Director of News and Civic Engagement, WHYY
• Harris Sokoloff, Executive Director, Penn Project on Civic Engagement, University of Pennsylvania
The Board made a surprise presentation to Cheryl Cutrona in honor of her 20th year as Executive Director of the Good Shepherd Mediation Program.
We hope you will join us next year for the 6th Annual Shepherds of Peace dinner and awards ceremony on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at the Union League.
2011 Event sponsors are:
- Mediation Sponsor -- Beneficial Bank
- Community Sponsor -- Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC
Previous honorees are:
- Vai Sikahema, NBC Sportscaster and “Wednesday’s Child” adoption advocate
- Marsha Levick, Esq., Juvenile Law Center
- Paul Jay Fink, M.D., Psychiatrist, Faculty Member, Temple School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science
- The Honorable Kevin Dougherty, Administrative Judge of the Philadelphia Family Court
- Representative Dwight Evans, architect of the Blueprint for a Safer Philadelphia
- Victoria Yancey, Ph.D., Chairperson of Safe Night Philadelphia and Guardian Angel of the Philadelphia School District
- Tony Chunn. Ph.D., former Executive Director of Cora Services
- Estelle Yasnoff-Chunn, Ph.D., Child Psychiatrist
- Frank Cervone, Esq., Executive Director of the Support Center for Child Advocates
- Deputy Commissioner Stephen T. Johnson, Sr., Philadelphia Police Department
- DeVonne Coleman White, retired GSMP School and Community Services Manager