Posted on November 19, 2016
GSMP ACCEPTING NOMINATIONS FOR THE 2018 SHEPHERDS OF PEACE HONOREES
Each October, in conjunction with Conflict Resolution Day, Good Shepherd Mediation Program, Philadelphia’s only community mediation center, names several individuals who have been instrumental in encouraging peace and social justice in Philadelphia and honors them as “Shepherds of Peace.” The nomination form for use in 2017 is available by clicking on this link /assets/Nomination_template_2018.pdf. Nominations must be received by March 15, 2018.
The Shepherds of Peace will be honored at the 12th annual awards ceremony on Wednesday, October 17, 2018 starting at 6:00 p.m. at a location to be determined.
Previous honorees are:
- Yancy Harrell and Movita Johnson-Harrell, grassroots organizers working to prevent gun violence and get guns off the streets. The Harrells founded the CHARLES Foundation in memory of their son who was killed in a case of mistaken identity
- Susan L. Brooks, Associate Dean for Experiential Learning and Professor of Law at the Thomas R. Kline School of Law at Drexel University and pioneer in the field of therapeutic jurisprudence
- Sr. Kathleen Coll, SSJ, Executive Director of Dawn's Place, a program that works to improve the lives of foreign-born and American women who have been victimized by commercial sexual exploitation.
- Kevin Bethel - Stoneleigh Foundation Fellow and primary architect of the Philadelphia Police School Diversion Program
- Rachel Falkove - Executive Director of the Interfaith Hospitality Network
- James Rosenstein, Esq. - Negotiation Facilitator, mediation ambassador, and GSMP volunteer Mediator.
- Diane Menio, long-time leader and executive director of the Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elder (CARIE), and well-known advocate for the elderly in Pennsylvania
- Dr. Amy Goldberg and Scott P. Charles, responsible for the Temple University Hospital-based Cradle2Grave Program that educates at-risk and adjudicated youth about the very real physical and emotional dangers of gun violence
- Milton Cohen, a Good Shepherd volunteer in our own Victim Offender Conferencing project, who facilitates healing, restoration and reconciliation between young offenders and their victims in a safe environment
- Homer Floyd: former Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission
- Seth Rozin: Playwright; Founder and Producing Artistic Director of InterAct Theatre Company
- Michael Viola, Esq.: Family Law Staff Attorney, Philadelphia VIP (Volunteers for the Indigent Program); Partner, Shainberg & Viola, PC; Good Shepherd Mediation Program volunteer mediator
- Sharon Browning, Esq.: Founder and principal of JUST Listening; former Executive Director of Philadelphia VIP (Volunteers for the Indigent Program)
- Joel Austin: Founder and CEO of DaddyUniverseCity.
- Edward Blumstein: Family Mediator; creator of the Temple University Law School Domestic Relations Mediation Clinical Program; mentor to hundreds of aspiring mediators
- Rev. George W. Bur, S.J.: Jesuit priest who initiated the Ignatian College Connection, working with disadvantaged children and their families at Gesu School through Saint Joseph’s Prep and Saint Joseph’s University
- Tricia S. Jones, Ph.D.: Professor, Temple University College of Education, Department of Psychological Studies and Project Director of Conflict Resolution Education in Teacher Education (CRETE)
- Jane Golden: Executive Director, Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
- Rue Landau: Executive Director, Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations.
- Chris Satullo: former Executive Director of News and Civic Engagement, WHYY
- Harris Sokoloff: Executive Director, Penn Project on Civic Engagement, University of Pennsylvania
- Vai Sikahema: NBC Sportscaster for his work with “Wednesday’s Child” and adoption advocacy
- Marsha Levick, Esq.: Juvenile Law Center
- Paul Jay Fink, M.D.:(deceased) former Child Psychiatrist; Faculty Member, Temple School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science
- Frank Cervone, Esq.: Executive Director of the Support Center for Child Advocates
- Stephen T. Johnson, Sr. (deceased): former Deputy Commissioner, Philadelphia Police Department
- DeVonne Coleman White: former School and Community Services Manager, Good Shepherd Mediation Program
- Victoria Yancey, Ph.D.: Former Chairperson of Safe Night Philadelphia; Guardian Angel of the Philadelphia School District
- Tony Chunn. Ph.D.: former Executive Director of Cora Services
- Estelle Yasnoff-Chunn, Ph.D.: Child Psychiatrist
- The Honorable Kevin Dougherty: Administrative Judge of the Philadelphia Family Court
- Representative Dwight Evans: architect of the Blueprint for a Safer Philadelphia